Many times during class, I will say things that have become know as Sensei Leo-isms to my students.
These are just a few of what I said during my tenure as a karate instructor.
- If you’re not sure how long you want to take karate, do what I did. Take it for 1 or 15 years and then decide.
- There are a million reasons not to train karate (like study, rest, relax, watch t.v.and etc.) but there’s only one reason to train karate. You, my fellow students are that reason.
- Many more students will graduate from college that will get a Black Belt. However, it is an attainable feat.
- Your kata looks better than I’ve seen it in the past, but not as good as I will see it in the future.
- Line up two-by-two, which means you and someone who is not you.
- Left leg forward, make downward block...your OTHER left leg.
- In terms of your rank, what you students are, I was. What I am, you will be.
- We will do BASICS until we can no longer do Basics. Then we will do some more!
- When I am talking to or correcting one student, in reality, to whom am I speaking? The answer is “EVERYONE.”
- I have gone to the store and seen many different types of cans – coke cans, beer cans, vegetable cans, etc. – but I have never seen a CAN’T. The fact is, “CAN’T” is a 4-letter word and we don’t use 4-letter words.
- It’s great when the students correct me. That just means that I am teaching them well.
- If your opponent gives you an inch, give him a “foot.”
- We have a special name for the uniform that we wear in karate. It’s called a “GI.” We also have a special name for the belt we wear. It’s called a “GI-STRING.”
These are just some of the LEO-ISMS that I use.