YONDAN - Shorin Ryu
(4th Degree Black Belt)
Sensei Christian Vaccese moved from Padova (Italy) to Claremont California 6 years ago for a job opportunity working as Business Development Manager for International Companies that operate in the Oil&Gas & Energy fields.
Sensei Chris recently began training with USKL where he found a new Family in his Martial Art journey. He has been training Karate for more than 30 years with frequent traveling to France for seminars and to Okinawa and he taought in Padova Italy in the local schools and municipal facilities.
He holds a 4th Degree Black Belt in Okinawa Shorin Ryu Karate (Kobayashi lineage) he has been training for years under the guidance of Okinawan Masters such as Kenyu Chinen Sensei (9th Dan of Shorin Ryu Karate and 9th dan of Matayoshi Kobudo and President of World Oshukai based in Okinawa / France) and Yasuhiro Uema Sensei (9th Dan of Shorin Ryu Karate and President of Uema Shubukan based in Shuri Okinawa), Italian Sensei Severino Maistrello 67h Dan of Shorin Ryu Karate.
Sensei Chris is also Certified Sensei in the EU European Union through US Acli Asssociation and he is the founder of Budokenkyukai Karate Association that is still active in Padova Italy with the help of his father Sergio and best friend Carlo Alberto both 4 Dan in Shorin Ryu.
Sensei Chris holds the degree of Fukushidoin (Assistant Instructor) in Tampo Ryu, a self-defense method based on Wing Chun and Karate principles and created by the Italian Master Andrea Badon President of Sen Shin Kai/Qiàn shèn hui Association located in Abano Terme Italy.
Currently Sensei Chris is a student of Matayoshi Kobudo under the guidance of Sensei Bob Johnson, he is also a member of the Matayoshi Kobudo Kodokan International. This organization is directly linked to the Matayoshi Kobudo headquarters in Okinawa, through the legendary Kodokan Dojo.
In 1997 Sensei Chris competed in the 1st World Karate and Kobudo Tournament in Naha Okinawa where he also had the privilege to train with the most famous Okinawan Masters such as Katsuya Miyahira, Shoshin Nagamine, Morinobu Maeshiro, Seikichi Higa.
He has been competing in Italian / European Karate Tournament with important results either in the Kumite and Kata disciplines aiming mainly at a personal growth in terms of self-confidence and self-esteem.
Sensei Chris emphasize his training focusing on the conditioning of the body through the Hojo Undo practice (method that uses traditional Okinawan / Chinese tools), Kote Kitae, and the practice of Katas or forms using the “Heavy Hand” Okinawan concept. Executing Katas and Bunkai (application of kata’s techniques) using these concepts allow to strengthen the body muscles, bones and tendons being capable of absorb and deviate powerful strikes (Iron body).
His dream is to become full time Karate Sensei and develop his program “Bridge to Okinawa” that reconnect Japanese Karate to its Okinawan roots.
In 1984 at the age of 11 Sensei Christian began his training in Okinawan Shorin Ryu under the guidance of Sensei Severino Maistrello (6th dan of Shorin Ryu Kobayashi) and Oscar Higa (9th dan of Shorin Ryu Kyudokan); the school after few years moved from a Shorin Ryu Kyudokan system to the Shorin Ryu Kobayashi of Sensei Kenyu Chinen (9th dan of Shorin Ryu and 9th dan of Matayoshi Kobudo and President of the World Oshukai Association)
Black Belt 1st degree “Shodan” in 1994
The rigid and disciplined traditional Okinawan karate training requires quite a few years of training in order to obtain the Black Belt degree. Dedication brought Sensei Christian to achieve his Black Belt 1st degree in 1994 under Sensei Severino Maistrello and Sensei Kenyu Chinen.
1st World Okinawa Karate and Kobudo Tournament in Okinawa – Japan
In 1997 Sensei Christian attended the 1st World Karate and Kobudo Torunament in Okinawa with 10,000 Karate competitors from all over the world this was the biggest event ever in Okinawa to celebrate the construction of the Budokan one of the biggest Karate facilities in the World.
He competed ranking among the first 200 and participated in Seminars with the most important Masters of all time (Katsuya Miyahira, Seikichi Higa, Maeshiro Morinobu, Shoshin Nagamine, Kenyu Chinen, Yasuhiro Uema, Morio Higaonna, Eichi Miyazato, Seikichi Uehara, Shinjo Kyohide etc.).
Black Belt 2nd degree “Nidan” in 1998
In 1998 under the supervision of Okinawan Sensei Kenyu Chinen, Sensei Christian achieved his Nidan.
From 1998 to 2010 he classified as Italian Champion of Kata and Kumite and participated in several competitions either national or European.
Black Belt 3rd degree “Sandan” in 2010
In 2010 in Italy under the Supervision of the National US Acli Commission (recognized in Europe) Sensei Christian achieved his Sandan.
Fukushidoin (Assistant Instructor) diploma in 2010
Under the guidance ofItalian Sensei Andrea Badon (master of Okinawa Goju Ryu and Chinese Wing Chun), Sensei Chris achieved his degree of Fukushidoin in “Tanpo Ryu”, stree fighting self defense style founded by Sensei Andrea Badon.
Black Belt 4th degree “Yondan” in 2015
In 2015 in Italy where he travel for business and for visiting his family, under the Supervision of the National US Acli Commission (recognized in Europe) Sensei Christian achieved his Yondan.
List of Katas
Fukyu Gata Ichi (Shorin Ryu Kobayashi) Itosu No Passai (Shorin Ryu Kobayashi)
Fukyu Gata Ni (Shorin Ryu Kobayashi - Goju Ryu) Matsumura No Passai (Shorin Ryu Kobayashi)
Naihanchi Shodan (Shorin Ryu Kobayashi) Kusanku Sho (Shorin Ryu Kobayashi)
Naihanchi Nidan (Shorin Ryu Kobayashi) Kusanku Dai (Shorin Ryu Kobayashi)
Naihanchi Sandan (Shorin Ryu Kobayashi) Chinto (Shorin Ryu Kobayashi)
Pinan Nidan (Shorin Ryu Kobayashi) Jitte (Shorin Ryu Kobayashi - Shito Ryu - Shotokan)
Pinan Shodan (Shorin Ryu Kobayashi) Pinan Jondan (Shorin Ryu Kobayashi)
Pinan Sandan (Shorin Ryu Kobayashi) Pinan Godan (Shorin Ryu Kobayashi)
Karate Kumite classes, every Friday night from 6 - 7 PM
All ages, youth and adult, and all belt ranks above yellow (orange, green, brown, and black)
- The Kumite classes that Sensei Christian will teach are oriented toward improved strength, stamina, balance, cardio, and conditioning of the mind and Spirit to prepare for competitions and for everyday life. Footwork and Kumite preparation, drills, and combinations will be progressively trained. WKF regulations (World Karate Federation) will be followed for the people interested in competitions.
- Sensei Christian Vaccese started Karate practice in 1984 and never stopped since.
- His International experience in Kumite and Kata at a competitive level has been playing a big influence in his Karate skills as well s attending Seminars withfamous Senseis in Okinawa, France, Italy, USA (Tsuguo Sakumoto Ryuei Ryu, Kenyu Chinen Shorin Ryu, Seikichi Higa Shorin Ryu, Taira Masaji Goju-Ryu, Yasuhiro Uema Shorin Ryu, Katsuhide Kinjo Goju Ryu, Franco Sanguinetti Matayoshi Kobudo, Sifu Pietro Sun Zen Taichi and Kung Fu….).
- The traditional Okinawan training of Shorin Ryu Karate that he has been practicing with Kenyu Chinen Sensei (Shorin Ryu Okinawa-France), Severino Maistrello Sensei (Shorin Ryu Italy), Andrea Badon Sensei (Goju Ryu / Tanpo Ryu / Wing Chun Italy), in addition to experiences with other styles such Shotokan / Shito Ryu / Wado Ryu and related professional competitors shaped his Karate with a unique set of skills and open minded approach.
- Winning National competitions both in Kumite and Kata in Italy/European and achieving the 2nd place in Kumite and Kata in the US all Okinawan Karate Tournament 2016 are just some accomplishments that motivate Sensei Christian to share his experience and passion having fun and growing together in the practice and Spirit.
- The classes are open to all existing DAC members as well as to non-members. DAC members that are paying dues for more than one class a week need not pay any charge for this class. Visitors from other dojos (non-members) can pay a $10.00 per class drop in fee.
- All males must have and wear an athletic supporter and cup. Other strongly-recommended protective equipment, hand pads, head gear, etc., will be avalilable for use. However, it is always preferable to have and bring your own.
- PS: Absolute control is a must for all participants. This we must stress.
Some of Sensei Christian's most important achievements:
- 1995 – 2000 ITALY
National Kumite and Kata Champion – Fesik Federation
- 1997 – OKINAWA JAPAN
Participate and trained with the best of the best Senseis and athletes in the 1997 “World Karate and Kobudo Okinawan Tournament” and Seminars with more than 10.000 athletes from all over the world;
- 2016 – Gardena California
2nd Place in Kumite and Kata at the US All Okinawa Karate Tournament
Sensei Vaccese is also a professional photographer and many examples of his work can be found throughout this website. Please see his professional page (www.vaccese.com) for more information on engaging him for his artistic services.